Monday, August 13, 2012

Looking for a Mentor

Recently I've been looking for a mentor. Most everyone I know is a real estate agent and they don't know much about social media, building a website, or building an online company. They are all wonderful people, but the person I am seeking needs to be... well... a techie. Having built at least one successful online business would be helpful.

First a little background:

I've been reading and doing research about starting an online business and formulating a plan. I've found some amazing people to follow on the social media sites and also found some great free advice, but to get one on one time is probably not even an option.

Maybe you know some of them: Dani Johnson http://www.danijohnson.com, Sandi Krakowski http://www.arealchange.com/blog, Michelle Dale (Virtual Miss Friday) http://www.virtualmissfriday.com, and Ali Rittenhouse http://aliciarittenhouse.com to name a few. What wonderful women! What I wouldn't give to be able to have just a few minutes of their undivided attention! I'm sure they have tons and tons of requests every day. I don't want to be in the spotlight like they are, but I do want to be as knowledgeable and successful. All of these fabulous women have given me tons of help and guidance. They are mentors to a point, that's for sure!

I need to ask some direct questions in relation to my specific idea to someone who won't try to use the idea themselves. I'm not trying to sell a product online and that is what most of their information is about. My idea is a little different. My idea will provide information and the participants will pay to be on the site.

Anyway, I came across someone on several social networking sites who I thought just might be able to help. So, after reading about this person, reading their blog, looking at some of the links posted etc., I got up the nerve to contact this person.

The reply I got was disheartening to say the least. Which brings me to the following question:

Should a mentor be someone you "study and admire" or someone you can actually interact with?

Would love to hear your answers!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter



Web Analytics