Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Reading

I love to read! I love to read! There are several problems with this relaxing activity. 1) I don't have time. I am lucky to get a sentence in. Reading one whole paragraph at one time is a highlight of my day! I did a speed reading book thing once. I found that I can read quickly with excellent comprehension, but only if I don't blink. I blink twice as much as the average person. It's a real problem when reading or during a staring contest. I went in for Lasik and they said I didn't qualify because I have such dry eyes. 2) I have a hard time finding books I like. I have several favorite authors, but once you have read all of their books you have to wait until they write another one. I really like mysteries and historical fiction, but just like love stories (which I don't like) they get old. The pattern is so much the same. I almost always know how it will end. The book I'm writing breaks several of the "you know what's going to happen" rules. I need someone to tell about it and see if it would be good. I think it would be better as a movie because of the songs that I have in my head while writing it. Write a novel. Write a movie. These are hard things to decide. I'm sure that both are sooo easy! Why doesn't everyone do it? haha 3) I can't always find the books I like at the library. Looking in the library for a book is enjoyable. However I usually don't have time to look at each jacket cover. You can never be rushed into finding a book to read. Usually I come home with a huge stack and only find one out of all of them that isn't boring and doesn't have bad language in it. I was reading a perfectly good book last week. I was several chapters into it and completely interested. Then out of nowhere there was nudity! Can you believe it? In a book! That's a new one for me. Needless to say, I didn't continue reading it and thus I didn't have another book to read for a while. 4) Series. Need I say more? When a great book comes out and you know it will be a series why in the world would you ever read the first one only to wait another year to read the next one? The only problem waiting for an entire series to come out is that people talk about it. In that case you just have to walk away or start yelling la la la out loud until they get the picture. Or the other problem is that sometimes a movie comes out about the first book before the book/story is even finished! That is ridiculous in my opinion. Then you really have to avoid hearing anything, or watching the preview, or looking at the posters...you get the idea. Having said that. I love it when I find a series that has been out for a while and all of the books are already done. That is the best kind to read. No one is talking about them and you can get all of them at one time! When you are lucky enough to find that you will have a good few weeks of not having to find something else. Having said that. I found a series once that was 9 books long. I thought I was in heaven. After reading the first 5 books I started to get very bored and even though I wanted to know the final outcome of the characters I couldn't even bring myself to keep reading. Not finishing book is like not having dessert to me. Even if I have to eat the bad stuff, it's worth it for the dessert. There have only been 2 books I haven't finished (not including those books with bad stuff). Because I got so bored by the "almost" end I couldn't read another word. And, can you believe it? They made a movie out of it! Blaugh. I couldn't even watch the movie. 4) I can't afford to buy the books I want. And most books, ok almost all books, are boring to me after the first reading. This can be bypassed however. One of the things I like to do is go to the bookstores and wonder around and make a list of books I want to see if the library has. One of the problems with that is when I go to put the book on hold, it usually is a new release and I can end up number 258 in line to get it. I have decided that it's only worth it to spend money on religious books that can be read over and over and used as a reference and that I can write in. Is it worth it you may ask? It is worth it to go through all of these hoops just for one book? YES!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter



Web Analytics