Friday, March 12, 2010

Creative Writing

I always thought it would be cool to be a writer. There are several problems with my being a writer.

1) I cannot spell! I've tried and tried, but I always spell something so wrong that sometimes the spell check can't even come up with a suggested spelling.

2) I want everything to be done too fast. Writing requires not only a creative mind but the patience and knowledge to put down on paper what you have in your head and before the thought is gone. Going back and proofing is hard for me because I tend to write and then rewrite and then rewrite and then.... After all of that I wonder if the story I started out with is still in there somewhere. - I was reading a book once about writing a novel. The author said he wrote a novel and then rewrote it for another 5 years after that before he even turned it in to the editor! - I wrote something once about myself. I wrote it quickly so I could get all of the ideas passing through my head on the screen. I planned to review and rewrite it later. I wrote it about a year ago and came across it again last week. I can't believe I even wrote that! It is more like my 3rd grader writing than me. Talk about rewrite! I have to start over. I don't know if it's worth it.

3) Who would ever read anything I wrote? What would I write about? Who will I have to "report" to when I think something is done?

4) I have tons of ideas and loads of stories that would make for good reading. I just don't know how to write it so that the people on the outside of my head will get what picture I'm trying to paint. It is all so simple and clear in my head, but on the outside it is a completely different story. Also, I tend to wander.

5) I lose my train of thought and when I get an idea I start to write about it and then ... Poof! Gone!. Of course there is always the interruptions of the kids. I've been interrupted 3 times in the last 5 minutes.

6) Creativity can't be turned on and off. When it's flowing it has to flow. A dam. That's a writer’s block. The thought, like water, is on the other side of the dam you just can't find out where the crack is to let it start flowing again.

7) After reading other people's writing I feel just down right stupid and don't know how I could ever compair.  I do like reading about how to be a writer though.  I follow several writing blogs.  I like to dream I guess.  I don't really write.  I just ramble.

I've tried to write a novel. I have the best idea for a book! I shared the story with some of my friends and family and they all liked it too. But writing it is a different story. I can see it in my head but I can't create the image on paper. In my head I can hear the music that would be played if it was a movie. I can feel the breeze in the air and cold mist of the early morning. I can hear the car pulling up and the sound of footsteps. I can smell the smells of a track field. I can see the fog as the scene changes from one location to another as the thoughts of the characters change. But, to get someone else to participate in that is really hard.

Someday maybe I'll write something worth reading.

(I spell checked this before positng it and found 5 spelling errors!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter



Web Analytics