Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Fire

We're in the "mountains" in AZ.  We're up high enough anyway that it snows about 1 to 2 times a year.  I knew it would be a little chilly and so we all brought jackets.  Today though, I am freezing!  My nose freezes when I breath.  It was OK last night under my blanket, but now wandering around the house cleaning up and having a movie day with the girls I am freezing.

In this little town it's very expensive to have a regular heater, so we have wood burning stoves.  I know how to build a fire and get one going in a stove.  However, my sister has a pellet burning stove and I can't get it to work for the life of me.  You have to add pellets in the back, add lighter pellets (unless they don't work in which case you put in lighter fluid), light the pellets, wait 1-2 minutes, put the fan on, adjust the pellet feed, watch and wait and possibly do it over again.

I love the smell of wood burning stoves.  It's one of the smells of my childhood that reminds me of home and my parents.  My father always got up about 1 hour before us and started the fire so it would be warm by the time we got up.  We would come into the living room and stand in front of the stove like you would a regular fire.  My father always got upset with us because we would stand on the harth.  Thus too close to the fire.  I always knew when my father was awake because I could smell the stove burning.  There was no fighting in the mornings.  Just the smell and sounds of a fire.

***

My daughter just called me and asked if it was supposed to be doing "that." "That" meaning blowing thick dark smoke around the house.  It looked like I was walking into a fire...no flames, just smoke.  And the fir alarm started going off like crazy.  My little girls said, "Get Low!" and crawled to the door.  Then on the porch they said they still needed to stay low.  Well, here we are 15 minutes later and I figured out what I did wrong (put the pellets in the front, not the back) and the smoke has slowed considerably.  It smells like a fire now and not the kind I like.  My sister is going to be upset.  My children have been yelling at me about how I did it wrong.  Oh well, nothing I can do about it now.  I hope it at least gets warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter



Web Analytics