Saturday, April 17, 2010

Selling the Home

We're selling our home. We've had it listed since October. We had two offers before the end of the year and both fell through. Since then we have had several people a week coming to look at the house. No other offers have come in though.

In the interest of selling the home more quickly I'm working on improving things around here. Of course I've already cleaned and decluttered everywhere I can.  You should see the garage!  It's full of boxes.  And every day I have to do a "walk through" of the house and make sure that everything is cleaned up and ready just in case someone wants to come and see it.  You try keeping a house perfect all of the time with 5 children in the house!  It's not easy.  Now the kids are starting to expect me to clean their rooms everyday.  I spend at least 2 hours everyday cleaning up after everyone.

Right now I'm doing things that I have always wanted to do but never did due to money,time, or other outside influences. Now I'm doing it for someone else instead of me. That's the sad part. Once I get things improved I won't want to leave.

A few days ago I was in Home Depot with Becca getting some stuff for her home. I passed the paint center and I remember someone saying once that if they made a mistake with a paint (like mixing the color wrong) you could get the paint for a discount. I got a 5 gal can of Behr paint worth $100.00 for $15.00! The color isn't the best but it is pretty good. I like it. Now, I have enough paint to paint all of the rooms in the house. I'm excited. I've wanted to paint since we moved in 3 years ago. In the last 2 days we've patched and painted the mud room, bathroom, and front entry.

Becca is helping me paint. What a great friend! Neither of us can sleep so we paint at night after the kids go to bed. We try to be quiet, but when we are together we just laugh and laugh. It's awesome! (We were going to paint tonight but we decided to wait and get some sleep. Becca is asleep I bet. She was going to take something to help her sleep. I can't do that. Bummer!)

There are a lot of things around the outside of the house that need to be cleaned up, moved, torn down, whatever. So today I had a family with teenage boys come to the house to help clean out the shed, take apart the bunny cage (since we don't have any bunnies), and take all of the big stuff to the driveway. Tomorrow morning I have some friends who are going to come over and take it all to the dump and bring back a load of mulch for the flower beds. I'm hoping I can get 2 loads of mulch. My yard is large and I have 7 flower beds, 15 trees and a lot of rose bushes.

While that's going on there are some youth from the ward coming to help with weeding, cleaning up the edges of the flower beds, removing some trees, cutting tree rings, cleaning up the rose bushed (I have 22), fixing the deck, paint/stain and seal the deck, hopefully pruning, and some other general clean up stuff. This will get me on track and I won't have to try to do catch up all of the time.

By the end of next week I hope to have the house painted and the outside maintenance in full scheduled swing. I'm sure the house will show much better. It will also give me some peace knowing that I'm not so far behind all of the time. I can't do it all myself even if I try and think I can. It will be so amazing when it is all done! I might have to take some pictures to show things off.

I don't know where we are going to go or when we will have to leave. Right now we're just waiting. Working on the house and taking care of the children is the only certain thing in my life. Everything else seems to have crumbled around me. I'm going to keep my chin up and make the best of it though. "I Love to Laugh" like the song says in Mary Pippins. "I love to laugh. Long and loud and clear. Each time I laugh. The more I'm a merrier me."

I Love to Laugh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter



Web Analytics