Sunday, April 25, 2010

Lady

This is my dog Lady. We got her from the humane society about 9 years ago. We don't know how old she is, but she was fully grown when we got her. I guess 9 is pretty old for a dog.  She's a mix between a collie, lab, and Samoan. There is some question as to whether she is part lab or golden retriever. She is getting gray fur if you can believe it. She also has stopped running as fast as she usually did. And she likes blankets!  Lots of them!  She even hides under them sometimes.  It's cute.  


All I know is that she has been a great dog! She will go for runs with me. However, when she gets too excited and trips me I won't take her for a while. I have thrown my back out and been dragged down the sidewalk before. She plays with the kids. She like kittens! She's house trained, and was when we got her! Thank heavens.

For the most part she is an outside dog. During the winter or on really hot days we bring her in. She's due for a hair cut before she starts shedding. When she sheds the yard looks like it has fluffy white snow all over it. In the winter her coat gets really, really long and snarly. Every summer we have her shaved. She looks like a drown rat, but it is obvious she like it. Nothing like a good hair cut.

No matter how much we try we cannot get her trained to fetch or even come home for that matter. When she gets loose it's like a streak of lightening running around the neighborhood. The kids love her and she will stop just long enough for you to get close then she will take off again. If we chase her around it will take a long time to catch her. If we just leave her alone she'll be back within minutes. The dog next door comes over to her cage, when Lady's in it, and pees on one of the poles! Of course that drives Lady crazy. The little dog then smirks, like a dog does, puts her nose in the air and prances off happy as can be. So, when Lady gets out she goes and pee's on that dogs house. It's quite funny actually.

When it's thundering, lighting, or when the Army Base next door is bombing Lady goes crazy. She can hear a storm coming at least 15 minutes before it gets here. I have had to come down at night and put her in the living room on a blanket with the TV on to keep her from barking. Oh, and I have to stay there too. She doesn't like being alone. She usually isn't allowed to go out of her corner in the kitchen, but this is the exception to the rule.

The other day when it hailed Lady somehow managed to open the sliding glass door she sits by. Thus our kitchen was covered in hail. Lady was shivering and shaking so badly I couldn't even be mad. I still don't know how she got it opened.

We had a cat once. Someone in our house fed it tuna one day. Then all of the sudden it was our cat, not the neighborhood stray. We named him Tramp. Get it? Lady and the Tramp? ha-ha! Well, I hate cats to the point of actually being allergic to them. One day our neighbor came over and accused our cat (no longer the neighborhood cat according to the neighbors) of eating their hamster. It became a big thing until they found the hamster a few days later. How rude! So, Tramp "decided" to go live at the other end of the neighborhood and wouldn't be returning.

I'm not much of an animal person...at least I didn't think I was. I do love my dog. And the kids love her too. She has never bitten anyone or anything. She barks a lot and needs a lot of attention. All in all she is a great dog!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter



Web Analytics