Saturday, January 05, 2013

Family Game Night ROCKS!


We have a great time playing games at our house.  We love getting all of our kids together and playing games.  It gets loud and we have tons and tons of fun!  Everyone is a good sport, and thinks it just as fun to loose as it is to win.  (Most of the time.)  

Here are a few of the games our family enjoys playing.  (Just a few.)  I won't go into details on how to play each one.  However, you can click on the name of the game and be linked to a site where you can read about the game and even buy it if you desire.


 Words with Friends

Have you played Words with Friends (fancy scrabble)?  My daughter and I have played a few times on our iPads and iPhones, but today we bought the board game.  We have been having a lot of fun!  It's an excellent game for learning new words and practicing spelling.  My daughter is really good and is kicking my tail! (We got this at Wal-Mart today for $14.99.  If you get it online it looks like you may pay more, or we could have ended up with an after holiday discount.)  Option for family rules... use the cheat!  It's actually kind of fun and you can learn more words for the next time you play.  We use our phone or iPad and go to Scrabble Finder.  When we do this we add a time limit!  My word today was QAT.  Got me 33 points!  Yeah Baby!



Quiddler

We LOVE this game!  This is not a very common game, and is also all about words.  It is our families favorite for sure.  If you haven't played, you like card games and word games then you will love this game too.  Be sure to try it the next family game night you have and let me know how much you love it!  You can't just go down to a local convenience store and buy it.  We had to order it online.  It's not very expensive.  I think we paid like $12-13.  You will want to have a spelling computer or dictionary close by!  But don't worry, even the little kids can play this one.  The cards are excellent quality which is nice.  Even more sturdy than our next favorite game....


Uno - Uno Attack

We like Uno, but we love Uno Attack!  Cards flying, people yelling... if you can't tell, we are kind of a loud family.  Uno is inexpensive and can be found just about anywhere, including gas stations!  Uno Attack is more expensive, but worth the expense if you have been playing Uno, love it, and just want to bump it up a notch.  When you're putting this one away you'll want to check around the floor for any cards that were missed.  They come out fast and furious!


Monopoly

My sister has every monopoly game ever made I think!  She has 37 that we can count in the photos. She has quite an impressive collection of games!  This is one of my personal favorite games from when I was little.  My brothers and sisters and I loved playing this game.  We would play right until the end.  If someone only had $1 we would start writing IOU's and keep playing.  I think this game is where I learned to love board games so much.  Sadly, my kids don't really like to play it because it takes so long.  "It's a great way to practice math though!" is probably not the best reason to give your kids to get them to play. LOL!  I'm sure you have all seen a fun monopoly game or two in your lifetime.  I would love to know what YOUR favorite version is!


Zigity

This is another game that you can't just walk down to the store and buy.  It sure is fun though.  And very simple!  It uses counting, spelling, and music symbols.  The cards are see-through and it's super cool! Anyone can play this game.  If your child is still little, the cards are a little slippery so they may need a little help.  And we suggest, because the cards are slippery, to be sure to get them in the fun little tin so they stay safe and together.


Game of Life - Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Man's Chest Edition 

This is a very expensive game, but if you like Pirates of the Caribbean and you like playing Life you will LOVE this game!  We do!  It's one of our favorites.  Even the little girls love playing and seeing which character they get and which boat.  They haven't seen the movies because they are only 9 and 12 and they get scared at Davy Jones, but they love the game.  Your ultimate goal is to have Jack Sparrow, The Black Pearl, and the monkey!  


Darts


I'm so used to having mostly girls in the house all the time.  When we were doing our Christmas shopping last month I was trying to think of a fun game that boys might enjoy more than cards.  Something where they could get their energy out...inside the house.  That's when we saw the dart games.  Let me tell you!  My girls enjoy this as much as my boys!  They have so much fun playing this game.  There are lots and lots of different choices of dart games out there and they range in price from not too expensive to WAY expensive.  We still aren't sure of the rules.  It seems there are about 50 ways to play darts!  I had no idea!


Racko

This is another classic from my childhood.  I didn't know if my kids would like it, but they love it!  And it isn't very expensive and it's very easy to teach to younger children.  (shhh... also good for improving math skills...)




Alright!  Now it's your turn!


What family games does your family play?  

What family rules do you have when you play?  

Don't forget to follow me on FACEBOOK and TWITTER!

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Our family game was Sorry! No one was every sorry though, gleeful would be a much better word.

    ReplyDelete

Counter



Web Analytics