Monday, January 07, 2013

Target Schmarket... and Naked Barbies

I saw a video this morning about finding your target market.  This is something I haven't really thought about for my personal blog.  I use this blog to write about so many different things.  I use it to test my blog posts for my business, to write about funny things that happen at home, to share my thoughts about books, movies, and life, about my struggles as a new business owner... Whatever crosses my mind at any given time... With this in mind, who is my target market?


I would like to eventually be able to have ad words or some other way for my site to make a little money on the side, have lots of followers, and especially readers that make comments and participate.  This means that I should really know who I'm writing to and for.  That would help with the out clicks.  How do I find my target market?


So, I'm asking all of you amazing bloggers out there.  Most of your blogs that I have read have one major thing you focus on...  How do I find my target market for my wacky blog with no main theme?

Or...am I doing it all wrong and should I make my blog more focused?  I can't promise I'll do that though.  That just isn't what I want to do.  I want to have a spontaneous blog where I can be free to write anything.


uhemm...  My sister-in-law hates having naked barbies around her house.  In the past she has always drawn on them with sharpies to make them look like they are wearing swimsuits.  Yesterday I was at her house (Playing Pirates Life...see previous post) and saw these barbies laying on the floor.  I thought they were so cute so I took a picture (with her permission).  She used nail polish this time to make these super cute swimsuits.  She said it stays on longer and doesn't wash off in the bath.  Great idea!  (If I used Pinterest I bet I could find this idea there, or put it on myself...)

Be sure to leave a comment and let me know your thoughts about how I can find my target market, how you found yours, and whatever else you want to tell me!

And be sure to follow me on FACEBOOK and TWITTER!

P.S.  Are you my target market?  If so, what would you like to have me ramble on about next?

Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. Maybe you should wait and see who comments on your posts and if they have anything in common. Or try out your different content and see what gets the most response. Then take it from there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I agree. I have a personal blog that the audience isn't truly known. My business blog is easier. I think you should keep your blog what it is, that's what makes you like it and displays your passion for writing. So, who is your audience? People like you that love the mix.
    As far as the Barbies -- love it. I HATE all the naked Barbies lying about. I may just copy this idea. (Maybe I'll check out Pinterest :)) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious!!! I don't like naked barbies either:) I think I'm your target market. Bwahahahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say to start taking inventory of the types of followers you have. If you notice that it's mostly women, then that may be your target. Are you trying to reach women in your age group that live in areas like yours with families...... I think you have to ask yourself lots of questions, do a little research, and eventually you will find your target(s)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're sharing your personality here - anything goes.

    Target market?

    You're defining who your market is through your business blog. You are (or should be) sharing tidbits of your personal life on that blog as well.

    You want to show both facets of you - business and personal. Those who resonate with your personality, will gravitate here if you invite them to.

    Take a look at Tiffany Dow's blog. I think she's covered both areas quite well. She mixes both sides of her, through that ONE blog. It works.

    Perhaps, it can work for you, too?

    I do the same thing... as Tiffany. I share both sides of me on the blog that has my name. I'm branding ME - therefore, I must share both sides of the coin.

    To separate business from personal - I created categories. People who want to learn a little more about the ME behind the brand, can visit the personal categories.

    The people who are intersted in how I can help them build community - read the marketing category the most.

    If you're at all confused as to who your market consists of, ask the people you're currently interacting with now - why they continue to follow you.

    You may be surprised to find that they resonate with you through your antics. Find out which ones, and shower your followers with more of the same. :)

    Your market is who resonates with you - cares to hear what you have to say - and likes something specific to your nature.

    If you're unsure of what that part is, ASK your current list, followers, blog commenters, and social friends for the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Bonnie! Excellent ideas and much to think about. Thanks for stopping by! Please send me the links to your site as well as Tiffany's. Would love to read and see how you do both on a business site.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! Thanks Kerry! LOVE the laugh!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. While I have no problem with naked Barbies, it was always those darned wedding dresses I couldn't stand and a mutilated Barbie wedding dress is an excellent way to anger your dad's new wife, I think I'm your target market because I keep coming back. I don't care if you have a focus as long as you entertain me. Call me easy if you must, but I prefer uncomplicated :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Carin! I love that you like my randomness. I like it too. Keeps things interesting and fun. (Sounds like you've had some barbie trauma in your life... lol!!)

    ReplyDelete

Counter



Web Analytics