Sunday, January 06, 2013

My Sister Wanted 'Shrooms?! From My Daughter!

 My 14 year old daughter wants to be everything when she grows up.  It's good that she's not in a huge hurry to grow up!  She needs to figure out a few things first.  She is a very talented artist and writer.  Sometimes she writes stories and brings them to me to read and they blow my mind.  I keep asking her if she copied it from another book or something.  Her imagination is HUGE and it is awesome!

A few years ago I went in her room and found a bunch of bags of rocks under her bed in big ziplock bags. I asked her why she had so many rocks under her bed.  She said she had decided she was going to be geologist and was collecting rocks.  She wanted to get a rock polishing kit and start examining each one.  It was pretty funny because the rocks she had collected looked more like a bunch of large dirt clods and were not very unique at all.  Boy did she cry when I told her I couldn't let her have all of those rocks in her room.  I told her if she founds some smaller, unique rocks I would be glad to let her keep them.  Shortly after that she decided not to be a geologist anyway so it worked out.

However this created another dilemma for her.  She wanted to be able to collect something and asked me what might be good to collect.  After some long discussions I told her about a business card collection I had and how it could also come in handy!  She started collecting business cards and has saved me several times by looking up phone numbers for me. I bought her some holders and she has them in a binder.  She has 250 now!  Quite a collection.

Anyway, her latest thing is drawing, painting, and most importantly sculpting!  She wants to start a company called Yo-Semedy and sell her sculptures.  She posted on her Facebook page that she was taking orders.  It surprised me that people actually wanted to have her make something without having seen anything she had done.  However, she has an amazing art teacher who helped her find the products she needed and offered to fire her sculptures for her when they are done.

Her first order came from my little sister who wanted some 'shrooms.  Not sure why that's what she chose, but you can see the final product (above) turned out pretty awesome.  We had a tough time shipping it, but it was worth it!  (Just remember, if you children create something to take a picture BEFORE you ship it!  lol!  She loves those 'shrooms!)

Right now, she still has orders for a wolf, a native american Indian (for her school, The Braves), more flowers, a manticore, and a few other things.  If you would like something, just let me know and we will see what we can do!

Pretty soon I'll be helping her finalize her logo, build a Facebook and Twitter page, get a YouTube Channel, and she is working on an inventory of items for purchase.  I'll keep you all posted!

What does your child collect?  What do you do to support and encourage their creativity?

Be sure to follow me on FACEBOOK and TWITTER!

P.S.  I wrote this with the encouragement of my daughter.  She is super excited to start this little business and wants me to get the word out.  As I was thinking of a blog topic she suggested it.  Thanks!

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Good for her! I think it's awesome that you are helping her get set up. This is how future millionaires are created, by starting with a passion for a project, taking it and running with it.

    I know another entrepreneur whose daughter has created a YouTube channel and is editing LOADS of videos for her daughter. I wonder if it is easier for small business owners like ourselves to encourage our kids in this way than it is for more traditional JOB parents?

    My kids are still too young at this point to have really considered starting a business, but if there is a way to make money from playing Mario Kart on Nintendo DSi, my son will certainly find it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true Shannon. I think my daughters see what I'm doing with my 2 businesses and they all would rather be their own boss than go through what I did before I was my own boss. It's hard to own your own business, but I find it much more rewarding! And my daughter has already made over $50, which has paid for all of her supplies. She borrowed some money from me to get started and paid me back as soon as she could. When she gave the money back to me she said, "I hate being in debt! Even though it was "only" to you, it was terrible having that hang over me for the last few weeks. I don't ever want to be in debt again!" Lesson TAUGHT! YES!! (Humm...I feel another blog post coming on!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's just lovely - one that your daughter has such an entreneurial spirit and two that you're encouraging and supporting her so beautifully. Kudos to you both :)

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome! It's amazing how smart kids are and how creative ... she'll be a millionaire by the time she's 20 with that go get em attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Alisha and Sandy! I'm very proud of my children, as you can tell. They are strong young women and it's so exciting watching them learn who they really are. They grow up so fast! It's just a tad bit sad.

    ReplyDelete

Counter



Web Analytics