Thursday, May 20, 2010

Contacts

I remember the first time I tried on contacts.  I tried for over 45 minutes to get those things in.  After the first 15 minutes the guy said, "Oh, sorry, there's a tear in the middle".  Well!  I mean!  By the time I left I was amazed at how well I could see through such blood shot eyes.  It took me several times to get "used" to putting them in and taking them out.  But, with time, a lot of pain, time on the floor looking for it just so I could have closure and throw it away (thank heaven's for disposable), tears, and money, money, money I don't have too much trouble.  I found the best frames ever and now like using both contacts and glasses.

My son got his first contacts!  He's 18 and has been waiting for as long as we can remember to have them.  I took him in when he was 16 and they said his prescription was too high and they didn't make them.  Then when he was 17 they said they made them.  But they didn't come in disposable.  Also, they were $100.00 each.  What if something happened right? So, when he had his exam this month we were told they made disposable now!  Whoohoo!  He said, "sign me up" and we had them order a trial pair.  They have to be ordered especially so it took about 2 weeks to get them.

He's seen me put mine in and take them out, so he thought it would be a piece of cake.  Little did he know.  His prescription is so high that the contacts are pretty thick.  Also, he has astigmatism so they are not regular shaped.  The lady who was showing him how to put them in had him, what I think, doing it the hardest way.  There was no way he would get them in like that without being a contortionist. And she didn't have very much solution in the tray, and it kept dropping on the floor and all over the place because it is shaped so weird.

After he tried for about 15 minutes she came over and put them in for him!  Can you believe it?  She practically crammed them in.  Then she said he needed to take them out before he left so they knew he would be able to.  Well, he hadn't put them in really so how did they expect him to take them out?  By now he was afraid to touch his eyes.

After being there for over an hour I had to leave.  I had an appointment I couldn't miss so I told him that if he wanted to stay I could come get him later (about 1 hour later turns out) or I could have my friend pick him up and take him home when he was done.  He said he just wanted to come with me.  So, we all decided I would take him home and he could keep trying to get them out.  She said that if he didn't get them out he could sleep in them and come back the next morning.  I can't sleep in mine so I thought that was kinda funny. 

I went to my appointment and when I came home he had very blood shot eyes and was practically crying with pain.  I think she put them in wrong side out and that they were dry.  There are days I still feel that way so I know how he feels. Right?  NOT!  After we both tried and tried to get them out we finally, at 10:30 at night, called the optomitrist.  Good thing he lives in our neighborhood.  He came over a few minutes later and with great effort, got them out.  It was horrible to watch!  I don't know how my son didn't scream in pain!  He had to told my son's head back on the chair, open his eye with one hand and "grab!" the contact with the other one.

He said he was surprised at how tightly they were in there and encourage my son not to give up on contacts.  It wasn't the same guy we had seen before.  He was super nice and very helpful and kind to come out at that hour.  And he didn't make us go to the office.

It breaks my heart that he had to go through that.  He is such a good kid and really wanted contacts for so long.  Today, his eyes are still pretty red, but he assures me "they feel great!  Especially after last night". I'm not sure how soon, if ever, he'll try contacts again.

Do a search for "contact lens cartoons" and you will find the funniest cartoons!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter



Web Analytics