Saturday, May 15, 2010

What to learn...

I've always loved being a Property Manager and working in Real Estate. I thought that I would have a Property Management company myself and be able to work my own hours. But, in the last year or so I've been thinking that being a programmer & developer would be awesome. The only skills I have in this area are the few I have learned while trying to get this blog to working and what I've learned from a few books.

I'm positive a degree will help me be able to support my family. Working in computers is where the money is. And it looks so interesting.

Just to change a font is awesome! One little space or punctuation out of line and the entire thing won't work. It's like a puzzle or a treasure hunt. When you finally figure it out it is so rewarding. And usually looks or works fabulously too.

You may have noticed that the navigation links have changed, been moved, disappeared, not worked, etc. Also I'm having some trouble with my pictures to be the way I want. Oh, and the web links, fonts, colors, and spacing need work. I'm sure there are more, but those are the one's I have been spending time on. Once I get those working the way I want them to I'm going to figure out how to do pull-down menu's! I's going to be awesome.

There hasn't been any content lately because I've been doing the back end stuff. The last entry was entered after I finally restore my navigation bar that had decided to go into hiding. I had to recreate them, which was fine because it helped me remember some things and more importantly learn some new things. (I was on two other computers this week to see how it was working on those screens. They need some work.)

I am going to build my own site from scratch. I've gotten some books and am going to start soon. It will take a while I'm sure because I only get to be on the computer for a little while at a time. And that is usually interrupted time. First thing, I have to find a name for the site, what to put in it, how to get it up and running for little to no cost.

The other awesome thing about this profession is the creativity. I'll have to learn CSS, Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash and more of these programs to make everything I do look amazing. I learned some about Photoshop when I was working 10 years ago, but I'm sure it's different now. I can't afford any of these programs so I'm using Paint.net. It's free. That's what I can afford for now.

I'll have to learn as much as I can about using HTML, javascript, XHTML, PHP, mySQL and other programing languages. The more I know these things the better chance I have of getting a job.

For now, the blog is my "testing grounds". Watch for changes. They may be slow coming but they will be there. I'll just have to keep staying up until 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning to have enough quiet time to work on it. When I start school I'm not sure what will happen, but I can't wait to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter



Web Analytics